Sunday 30 October 2011

Newton shore Saturday night







Motivated by Gordon’s Newton trip on Friday night I decided to give myself a push to get out and catch a 5 Beard to get my species tally back on track for 50 for the year. I’ve let this slip in the last 6 weeks and it looks like it’s not going to happen but Jamie was daft enough to join me and we met up just before midnight. The wind was blowing from the SW and it was dry which good news was. The lads including Jamie had done well on Wednesday night on the east coast and we were under no illusion that whatever happened we knew it wasn’t going to be a 50 pound bag of fish that was the chat at the end of the session. I had some lug left from the club match last weekend, don’t know why these were still alive as the water was coffee coloured not having been changed for a week. The balance of my bait was made up of refrozen crab again from last week and some squid. The fishing was basically non stop for 3 ½ hours with Jamie not having a blank cast. Small Whiting, small Cod to about 10 inches, Coalies and a stray Cluggie for Jamie. He lost count but I kept mine and had 32 fish the best of which were 8 of my 9 Coalies that were ok sized fish providing decent bites at no more than 30 yards. Still no 5 Beard….. I had been to the 8pm session of Paranormal Activity with Lynn and I thought that this might help me spook the beast with 5 beards but it seems I had more chance of spotting Casper the ghost walking his dug down the beach.

No comments: