Thursday 6 October 2011

Mako Portugal


















I found this old video clip, Portimao Portugal I think it was 2008. Out on Natusha with Clayton the guy on the right. It was a tourist type of a boat, bit of a tug really and long like a barge top speed about 1o knots fishing about 15 anglers. I fished with him for 3 years each time I went I had 1 or 2 sessions. He did well with the blue sharks and a few went about 80 pounds but mostly 10-20 pound fish each time I was on his boat seemed to be the norm. In addition there were always a few Dorado and Polmeta on the float rigs to keep me happy. Anyway in the last 5 minutes of the day the deckie wound the rods in...close to the boat so that they were easier to take out. This seemed to trigger a take on one of the rods, deckie strikes fish, fish tears off , handle comes off the reel, line breaks , fish gone. I had my own rods with me Exage travel rods 20/30's and my baits were still about 20 yards from the boat so I wound mine in a little closer, fish takes bait, fish runs, I strike, fish runs and as I tighten further into the fish with massive bow in the line a Mako appears ten feet in the air off my right hand shoulder behind me up on the bow of the boat....holy fuck its a Mako....game on. I kid you not Clayton had the Jaws music on over the tannoy system normally reserved for the radio. Numerous jumps and around the boat twice I get the fish to the side of the boat and he handballs it in, luckily it stays on. Not the most fish friendly picture but the blood on the fish is the deckies and they were both keen that I didn't get hurt, the fish went back but could have been handled better.

That night I walked into a restaurant with Lynn and a family shouts up Mako Marty! I got the video clip blue toothed to me in the bar. So I found this little video today, a memory from a few years back down the line. I've had Blue Marlin 500+ pounds, Amberjacks, GT's, Stiped Marlin and Sailfish and a few more... this fish was special caught on £40 day trip on my own tackle in Eurpean waters ....Mako madness right enough. As you can hear at the end of the clip I was a happy chap in happy times!

No comments: