Sunday 26 June 2011

First Mullet of the year!







Imagine trying to sleep in a caravan with a Harley Davidson ticking over 3 ft from your pillow? So off I went as a result of Les and his snoring and landed on the chosen spot at about 5am. Having spotted the fish on a scouting mission the previous morning they were there in the same spot at roughly the same time. Having fed them with an offering the previous day I was optimistic about my chances. With the forecast being what it was for Sharkatag I had packed my Bass and Mullet gear planning this as a possible back up. Anyway, had an offer on my second cast and missed it and then struck at a line bite so when the third offer came along I was now warmed up and off the fish went. Nothing like it at that time of the morning to get the adrenalin going, better than an espresso! 5 minutes later my first of the year was beaten and some pictures taken and the fish returned. I then headed to Ardwell to meet with Gordon for the next leg of the Sharkatag but the weather unfortunately beat us on the day with a straight southerly no good to anyone. So...will post some pictures shortly but in the meantime here is a shot from the caravan with Michael and Jason's pup (which was seasick on Saturday) Its doesn't seem to have put Sinbad off by the looks of it !

The fish above shows some conflicting ID points according to the National Mullet Club site, the jugular space under the chin too wide- not a Thick Lip as well as the lips a being different, gold spot behind the gill like a GG but no slime, no black patch on the pectoral fin like a Thin Lip ??? Watch this space this needs further investigation, better pictures and a closer look the next time I'm in the area.

No comments: